Perhaps the most daunting task in planning for this trip has been setting an itinerary. Possible locations in Europe abound, and the logistics of staying with friends in some locations (Vienna, Oldenburg and Paris) and the reality of the amount of time I really have is the grounding force. As a solo traveler, I am trying to balance the idea of being uber safe (with a thoroughly planned itinerary), and being a bit more impulsive and spontaneous. In many areas (like lodging), being more planned is winning out – but I am leaving some wide open days to just see where the day (or my rail pass) takes me. I have figured out where I am sleeping each night, and do have some tours, experiences and reservations booked, but other days are wide open – so I can hop on a train and have Pirogues in Poland for lunch, or stay in Berlin and explore Museum Island; on a day while in Vienna, I could explore Budapest, Pannonhalma Abbey, Győr, Sopron, Salzburg or . . .? There is something completely liberating, but a little out of my comfort zone about this whole process, but I have made my over prepared, planning self make sure not to “over schedule” and leave some openings for new chances I haven’t even considered as an option.
So, for all those that have inquired – here is my itinerary (as of this second. . . ). 🙂
- Days 1-7 – London – with trips to Bath, Isle of Wight and of course the Harry Potter Studio Tour at Leavesden
- Night 7 – Night Bus to Brussels
- Days 8 – 12 – Rail to Vienna, Austria – with some possible trips to Bratislava, Slovakia; places in Hungary; or other places in Vienna
- Day 13 – Day in Munich; Dachau?
- Night 13 – Night Train to Berlin
- Days 14 – 16 – Berlin (possibly a trip for lunch in Poland?)
- Days 17 – 19 – Days Oldenburg, Germany (Bremen? Hamburg?)
- Days 20 – 22 – Amsterdam (Brugges?)
- Night 22 Night Train to Zurich
- Days 23 – Bernina Pass (Stop and ride funicular at Bernina Diavolezza)
- Night 23 – Tirano, Italy
- Day 24 – Travel to Paris
- Days 25 – 31 Paris
WHEW! What an Adventure! 🙂